Biscuits and Apples
Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: approx. 1 hour
- 4 large organic golden delicious apples (you can also use any other variety of sweet apples, such as honeycrisp or gala)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 cups raw almond flour
- 1 tablespoon birch xylitol
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9-inch baking dish with coconut oil.
- Peel, core and dice the apples. Place them in a large bowl; add the lemon juice, lemon zest and cinnamon. Toss well.
- Transfer the apples to a large, deep nonstick skillet. Add 3 tablespoons of water and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until the apples are tender but still hold their shape. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, xylitol, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy. Add almond milk and vinegar and pour over almond flour mixture. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined, forming a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and flatten each piece to form a biscuit, between ¼ and ½ inch thick. Arrange over the apples and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the biscuits are a light golden brown.