Lemon Meringue Pie
Phase 2 | Serves: 12*
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes
3 tablespoons Fast Metabolism Quick & Easy Dessert and Snack Mix
7 tablespoons liquid egg whites
1/3 cup birch xylitol
1 cup Fast Metabolism Quick & Easy Dessert and Snack Mix
6 tablespoons liquid egg whites
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
Zest of 1 large lemon
4 large fresh egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup Fast Metabolism Quick & Easy Dessert and Snack Mix
Make the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the crust ingredients in a large bowl. Whip with an electric mixer until thick.
- Spread this mixture into a nonstick or parchment-lined 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake 25 minutes, until golden brown and dry to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack.
- While the crust is still warm, press it down onto the bottom and sides of the pan (it will have puffed up a bit in the oven).
- Cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the filling:
- Whiz the xylitol in a blender to a fine powder.
- Combine it with the remaining filling ingredients in a large bowl. Whip with an electric mixer until thick.
- Spoon the filling into the cooled crust.
Make the meringue:
- Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl. Whip with an electric mixer until the mixture holds soft peaks.
- Gradually beat in the Dessert and Snack Mix, just until the mixture holds stiff peaks. Spread the meringue over the pie filling.
- Bake 10 minutes, or until the meringue is golden brown.
Serves 12 as a Phase 2 protein snack
Serves 6 as a Phase 2 meal protein (including breakfast)*
Can be incorporated into other Fast Metabolism Diet Phases as a protein.
May be used on any Burn or Food Rx program as a protein.