Phase 2 | Serves: 4*
Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
8 raw egg whites
Zest of 1 large lemon
1/2 cup Fast Metabolism Quick & Easy Dessert and Snack Mix
1 pound fresh rhubarb, cut in 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 2/3 cups)
2/3 cup birch-based xylitol
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Powdered xylitol for sprinkling (optional)*
Make the shortcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the egg whites and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl, and whip with an electric mixer until the whites hold stiff peaks.
- Fold in the Dessert and Snack Mix one tablespoon at a time.
- Drop in 8 equal mounds on a parchment-lined baking sheet (do two batches, if necessary).
- Bake 20 minutes, until golden brown. Do not underbake.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and place it on a wire rack. Cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the filling:
- Combine the filling ingredients in heavy saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the xylitol dissolves.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rhubarb is tender, occasionally stirring about 7 minutes. (The filling can be served warm, chilled, or at room temperature.)
Assemble the shortcakes:
- Slice the cooled shortcakes in half horizontally.
- Spread 1/4 cup of filling on each bottom half, and replace the top.
- Sift powdered xylitol over the top, if you like.
*Whiz 3 to 4 tablespoons xylitol in a blender for 1 minute, then measure and use this like powdered sugar.
Serves 8 as a Phase 2 protein and vegetable snack
Serves 4 as a Phase 2 meal protein and vegetable (including breakfast)
Can be incorporated on other Fast Metabolism Diet Phases as a protein and vegetable. May be used on any Food Rx program as a protein and vegetable.