Delicious Shrimp Tacos Recipe
This recipe comes from Fast Metabolism fan (and wonderful cook) Laura. It can be used for Phase 3 of the Fast Metabolism Diet. See below for a little about Laura, and enjoy this recipe!
Phase 3 | Serves 2 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes
Who doesn't love Mexican food? On my trip to Mexico, I had the opportunity to try different kinds of food, and it was an unforgettable experience! I was amazed by the different textures, flavors, and colors.
One of my favorite plates was the shrimp tacos, and that is the reason why I want to share with you this delicious and healthy representation of what I enjoyed. The subtle spices of the shrimp mixed with the smooth avocado and crunchy cabbage inject a little bit of Mexico into your Phase 3 of the Fast Metabolism Diet (FMD). This is a great recipe to share with family and friends!
12 oz. raw and peeled medium shrimp
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
½ tsp lemon zest
¼ tsp onion powder
A pinch of cumin
1 cup of shredded cabbage (I like to wash the cabbage with water and white vinegar)
1 tbsp chopped jalapeño pepper
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped tomato
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp lemon juice
1 medium avocado
½ tbsp coconut oil
For the oat tortilla
½ cup old fashioned oats
½ cup water
2 egg whites
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
- Season the shrimp: in a small bowl mix 1 tsp of paprika, 1 tsp of salt, ¼ of tsp of chili powder, 1/8 tsp of black pepper, ½ tsp of lemon zest, ¼ tsp of onion powder and a pinch of cumin, add the shrimp and set aside after mixing.
Tip: To get a better flavor, let them rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Put coconut oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Once heated, add the shrimp and cook approximately 3 minutes on each side or until pink and curled.
Tip: Be careful and do not overcook the shrimp. Shrimp is all about the texture!
- Now we are going to make the tortilla. Put ½ cup of oats in the blender and blend for a few seconds to a powder consistency then add ½ cup of water, 2 egg whites, 1 tsp of salt and ¼ tsp of black pepper and blend for one additional minute.
- Put the mixture in medium circles (approximately 4" diameter) in a non-stick pan over medium heat, cook for 2 minutes, flip and cook for another 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the onion, tomato, jalapeño (without the seeds), cilantro, ¼ tsp of salt, ¼ tsp of lemon juice.
- Cut the avocado into little squares.
- Now it's time to build our tacos! Put the oat tortilla, then add cabbage, a few pieces of shrimp, the combination of onion, tomato, jalapeño, and cilantro, add the avocado and they are ready! Do not forget to put a little slice of lemon on your plate; it will look pretty and tacos go perfectly with lemon juice.
Note: With a few changes it could be a phase 1 recipe.
Use chicken instead of the shrimp and do not cook it with oil.
Do not add the avocado.
And you can have a bigger tortilla!
About the Author:
Laura was born and raised in Cali, Colombia. After finishing her law degree, she got married and moved to the United States. She first discovered her talent for cooking while making meals for her family and she likes to share what she has learned with the world. Laura dedicates her free time to her passions, including the kitchen, where she combines her creativity and love of healthy food. She enjoys the challenge of taking her favorite meals and transforming them with healthy ingredients so everyone can enjoy them within the FMD lifestyle. For Laura, cooking is an act of love.
To see the Spanish version of this recipe and more of Laura's delicious FMD-inspired recipes:
Follow her on:
Blog: Metamorfosis by Law
#FMD on her Youtube: Metamorfosis by Law