Phase 2| Serves 4
Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
2 tbsp vegetable broth or water
6 ounces (about 2 cups) sliced crimini (baby bella) mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 tsp Simply Organic All-Purpose Seasoning (or another seasoning blend you like)
2 tsp minced fresh jalapeños (optional)
2 1/2 cups (packed) fresh spinach, roughly chopped
4 ounces turkey bacon, cooked and chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
9 egg whites
3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 7-by-11-inch baking dish with parchment.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth or water, the mushrooms, red bell pepper, Simply Organic seasoning, and optional jalapeños. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are nearly tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach. Cook until the spinach is cooked down and bright green, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the turkey bacon, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Whisk the egg whites, then pour them over the spinach mixture. Scatter the green onions on top.
- Bake until the egg whites are set, about 25 minutes. Test by poking a small sharp knife into the middle of the casserole and taking a peek — it should be moist inside, but not liquidy.
- Let the casserole sit for about 5 minutes, and then cut into pieces and serve. (The leftovers reheat well in the microwave — just cover and refrigerate.)