Serves 6 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 2-inch pieces (no need to peel the eggplant)
- Sea salt
- 20 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small onion, halved and chopped very thinly
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 15 pitted kalamata olives, cut lengthwise
- 3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 heaping tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Chopped fresh basil (about 10 large leaves, or more if you like)
- Put the cut-up eggplant in a large strainer and sprinkle it with lots of sea salt. Let it sit over a bowl for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, capers, olives, garlic, tomato paste, and olive oil. Stir well to combine.
- Rinse the eggplant and pat it dry with a clean dish towel (or paper towels).
- Transfer the eggplant to a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the eggplant and roast in the oven for 1 hour, or until the eggplant is soft and very tender.
- Toss the eggplant a few times throughout the roasting process to ensure even cooking and to prevent sticking.
- When the eggplant is cooked, remove it from the oven and stir in the chopped fresh basil. If you think it needs it, add some more extra virgin olive oil.
- Garnish with more basil and serve warm or at room temperature. This dish tastes even better when eaten the next day, so it is wonderful to make in advance.