5-Ingredient Roasted Chicken
It only takes 5 ingredients (plus sea salt and pepper) and 30 minutes to create a home-made roasted chicken dinner for Phase 3 of the Fast Metabolism Diet, Food Rx: Energy Day 1-4 Dinner, or for H-Burn in The Burn. We love these simple and flavorful weeknight recipes.
There’s only a small amount of oil in this recipe, so add a salad with oil-based dressing to complete your health-fat portion.
Pan-Roasted Chicken with Shallots
- 8 shallots or 1 large onion
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small zucchini (about 1 pound total), cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices or sticks
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Peel the shallots; halve small shallots and quarter large shallots. If using an onion, cut it into thin wedges and set aside. Sprinkle the chicken lightly with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the chicken, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn the chicken. Add the shallots to the skillet. Cook, stirring the shallots frequently and turning the chicken, if necessary, to brown evenly, until the chicken is no longer pink inside (this could take another 2 to 8 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts — an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of a breast should read 170 degrees F). Reduce the heat to medium-low if chicken or shallots brown too quickly.
- Transfer the chicken and shallots to a serving platter. Cover them to keep warm. Add the zucchini to the skillet. Cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add the zucchini to the platter with the chicken, and sprinkle with parsley and avocado on the side.