- 1 1/2 pounds grass-fed lean ground beef
- 1 medium red or yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbls. dried parsley
- 2 Tbls. chili powder
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 large red peppers, chopped
- 2 cups sliced white or cremini mushrooms
- 1 32-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 – 2 cup water or vegetable broth (or more if desired)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbls. minced fresh garlic
- Fresh parsley
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- Cayenne pepper sauce (optional)
- In a large soup pot, saute the onions and carrots in 2 tablespoons of water until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned, about 7 minutes more.
- Stir in the red pepper, parsley, chili powder and mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms begin to give up their water.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and water, adjusting water to the consistency you like. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the peppers soften.
- Add the salt and stir in the raw garlic. Serve, topping with chopped fresh parsley, sunflower seeds (for Phase 3), and a few shakes of cayenne pepper sauce, if desired.