Phase 1 | Serves 4
Prep time: 10 minutes | Total time: 1 hour
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Dash of black pepper
- 8 ounces spelt or brown-rice noodles, uncooked
- Fresh basil or Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Combine the beef, onion, and garlic in a large pot and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the beef crumbles and is no longer pink.
- Stir in the water, tomato paste, tomato sauce, chili powder, oregano, salt, and pepper, and bring the sauce to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the pasta, cover, and simmer, stirring often, for 20 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with chopped fresh basil or parsley.