Asian Mushroom Rolls
Roll up everything you need into a light, refreshing cabbage leaf. Loaded with protein (mushrooms), fresh herbs and a little bit of spice these cabbage rolls will be a nice addition to your Phase 2 meal map.
Phase 2 | Serves 2
Prep time: 45 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
1 medium savoy or napa cabbage
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
6 scallions, white and light green parts, roughly chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
¼ cup fresh mint leaves
1 to 2 fresh small red chili peppers
1 tablespoon tamari
2 tablespoons coconut aminos
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 pound mushrooms
1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 teaspoons grated lime zest
Tamari and/or coconut aminos, for dipping
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Remove and discard the tough outer leaves of the cabbage, then slice off the root end and separate the leaves. Plunge them into the boiling salted water to blanch for 2 minutes, then remove to a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside. Pour out all but a couple of inches of water in the bottom of the pot and place a steamer inside the pot (or place a bamboo steamer on top of the pot). Set this aside, off the heat.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse the next 9 ingredients (garlic through salt) until everything is minced. Add the mushrooms, water chestnuts, lime juice, and zest. Process until finely minced.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the mushroom mixture. Cook and stir until the mushrooms are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Lay out the blanched cabbage leaves on a cutting board and place a small amount (2-3 tablespoons) of the mushroom mixture onto the root end of a cabbage leaf. Fold the leaf over once to enclose the filling, fold both sides in, then roll it once again so that the seam side is down. Repeat with the remaining cabbage leaves and mushroom mixture.
- Bring the water in the bottom of the steaming pot to a boil, then place the parcels seam side down into the basket. Cover and steam until the cabbage rolls are tender and warmed through, 6-8 minutes depending on their size.
- Serve with the dipping sauce.