Phase 3 | Serves 2 (dressing makes 1 cup) | Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
For the salad:
- 1 slice sprouted-grain bread, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 romaine heart, torn
For the dressing:
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 raw organic, pastured egg yolk
- 3 anchovy fillets (don’t worry, the dressing won’t taste fishy)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
To make the croutons:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss the bread cubes with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Bake, turning the cubes once or twice, until golden and crispy, 10 to 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the dressing:
- Combine the lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl and let sit for 10 minutes (this makes the garlic taste milder).
- Pour the garlic mixture into a blender, along with the remaining dressing ingredients, and blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
- Toss the romaine with dressing to taste. Top with the croutons and serve.