Campfire Chicken Chili
There's chili and then there is this campfire chili. Nothing screams cookout better than this metabolism-boosting recipe simmering away in your Dutch oven. Packed with protein and hearty vegetables this Campfire Chicken Chili will turn hungry campers into happy campers!
Phase 3 | Serves 6
Prep time: 10 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 40 minutes
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 large), unpeeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cups salsa
2 cups chicken broth
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons sea salt (or to taste)
1 teaspoon (or more) freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
3 avocados, sliced
Chopped cilantro and/or green onions, to serve (optional)
- Mix first 7 ingredients (chicken through pepper) in a cast-iron Dutch oven. Cover and simmer over medium-low coals (or medium-low heat on the stovetop) until the chicken shreds easily with a fork and the sweet potatoes are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the beans during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Shred the chicken in the pot with 2 forks.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve topped with avocado; add cilantro and/or onion if you like.