Chicken Parmesan is a classic, delicious dish that everyone should have in their FMD recipe collection. High in essential nutrients like potassium, manganese, and antioxidants like vitamin C and vitamin A, this free radical fighting meal is sure to become a family favorite!
Cleanse Days 8-10, Phase 3 | Serves 4
Prep time: 40 minutes | Total time: 1 hr 20 minutes
1/4 cup blanched almond flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3/4 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup arrowroot
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
28-ounce can San Marzano or other high-quality tomatoes, crushed
1/2 to 1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
6 cups spiralized zucchini noodles
1 tablespoon olive oil
Chopped fresh basil
- Mix together the “Parmesan” ingredients, and set aside.
- Place the chicken in a ziplock bag. Use a mallet (or a heavy skillet) to pound the chicken about ¼-inch thick.
- Mix together the next 5 ingredients (blanched almond flour through pepper) in a large shallow dish.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Season one side of the chicken with salt and pepper. Then, place the seasoned side down into the flour mixture. Season the other side of the chicken with salt and pepper, then turn over with tongs to coat the rest of the chicken with flour. Repeat with all the chicken.
- Place a single layer of the chicken into the heated skillet and cook just until nicely browned on both sides, about 2 to 4 minutes per side. Set the chicken onto a plate and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Make the marinara: Add the olive oil and onion to the skillet. Cook until tender and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer 25 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ degrees.
- When the marinara sauce is done, add the 2 tablespoons fresh basil. Taste and adjust ingredients as desired.
- Spoon 3/4 cup of the marinara sauce into a large baking dish. Add the chicken. Spoon the remaining marinara over the chicken. Now, sprinkle on the “Parmesan.” Bake for 12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken bakes, sauté the zucchini noodles in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes, or until just tender. Serve the chicken and sauce over the zucchini noodles, garnished with basil.