Chilaquiles with Fried Eggs
Serves 4 | Prep time: 30 minutes | Total time: 1 hour
Red chile sauce:
- 7 dried guajillo or New Mexico chiles
- 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 medium white onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, with seeds, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked or Hungarian sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Grapeseed or olive oil (for brushing)
- 4 8-inch sprouted-grain tortillas
- Sea salt
- Limes, cut into wedges
- 4 large eggs
- Thinly sliced green onion
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Chopped fresh cilantro
For the red chile sauce:
- Place the dried chiles in a medium bowl and cover with 2 cups of boiling water.
- Let the chiles soak until softened, about 15 minutes.
- Drain, reserving the soaking liquid.
- Discard the stems and seeds.
- Place the chiles in a blender with the next five ingredients (tomatoes through paprika) and 1 cup of the reserved soaking liquid.
- Puree until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a deep pot over medium-high heat. Add the puree (the deep pot will help contain the splatter) and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes (add more reserved soaking liquid if it’s too thick). Season to taste with salt and pepper. (DO AHEAD: You can make the sauce three days ahead; just cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush the tortillas with oil and cut them into eight triangles.
- Arrange them in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and the juice of 1/4 of a lime.
- Bake for 4 minutes, rotate the baking sheet (if one side is getting browner than the other) and bake for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chips to a cooling rack and set them aside.
- Lightly coat a nonstick skillet with oil and heat it over medium heat.
- Add the eggs and fry them until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, about 4 minutes.
- Place the chips on a serving platter or plates.
- Top them with the sauce, green onions, radishes, cilantro, and fried eggs.
- Serve with lime wedges.