Cornish Game Hens with Mushroom-Quinoa Stuffing
Phase 3 | Serves 4
Prep time: 10 minutes Total time: 1 hour 40 minutes
1 cup quinoa
4 tablespoons coconut butter
1⁄4 cup pine nuts
1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
1 cup minced button mushrooms
4 Cornish game hens, skin on
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly and drain. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add the quinoa, reduce the heat to medium-low, stir, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the quinoa sit in the covered pot for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut butter, pine nuts, 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt, and the mushrooms and combine with a fork.
- Set the hens on a baking sheet and rub the outside with the remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt and the garlic.
- Stuff the hens with the quinoa mixture and then sprinkle the birds with pepper.
- Roast on the middle rack of the oven for about 55 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. on an instant-read thermometer inserted between the breast and the leg and not touching bone. Let the hens rest for 10 minutes before serving.