Cornish Game Hens with Mushroom-Quinoa Stuffing
Cornish game hens are a fantastic treat for me to make for my family and delicious recipe is shockingly simple to make! Packed with healthy fats like coconut butter and pine nuts, this is one dish you'll want to make over and over again!
Phase 3 | Serves 4
Prep time: 10 minutes Total time: 1 hour 40 minutes
1 cup quinoa
4 tablespoons coconut butter
1⁄4 cup pine nuts
1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
1 cup minced button mushrooms
4 Cornish game hens, skin on
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly and drain. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add the quinoa, reduce the heat to medium-low, stir, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the quinoa sit in the covered pot for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut butter, pine nuts, 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt, and the mushrooms and combine with a fork.
- Set the hens on a baking sheet and rub the outside with the remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt and the garlic.
- Stuff the hens with the quinoa mixture and then sprinkle the birds with pepper.
- Roast on the middle rack of the oven for about 55 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. on an instant-read thermometer inserted between the breast and the leg and not touching bone. Let the hens rest for 10 minutes before serving.