Creamy Bacon Mushroom Chicken Thighs
Cauliflower can help bind toxins as they are released and carry them out of the body. It contains phytochemicals that when released break down into sulforaphane which support natural detoxification systems. Cauliflower is an amazing liver detoxifying food!Cleanse: Dinner Day 5 (5-Day Cleanse), Dinner Days 8-10 (10-Day Cleanse)
FMD: Phase 3 | Serves: 4
Prep time: 25 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
INGREDIENTS4 ounces (about 4 slices) nitrate-free turkey bacon, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
8 ounces Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced (about 3 cups)
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup coconut milk
5 sprigs fresh thyme
4 cups cauliflower rice, steamed (a 16-ounce bag – or you can chop up 1 pound of cauliflower in the food processor)
4 cups fresh baby spinach
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In an ovenproof skillet, cook the bacon in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until crisp. Transfer the cooked bacon to a plate with a slotted spoon, leaving the oil in the pan. Add another 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Increase the heat to medium-high.
- Season both sides of the chicken thighs generously with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Place the chicken thighs in the skillet meaty-side down. Cook, without moving the thighs, for about 7 minutes or until the first side is nicely and evenly browned and releases easily from the pan. If the chicken sticks, continue cooking until it releases easily. Flip the thighs over.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 13 minutes or until the internal temperature of the thighs reaches 160 degrees. Carefully transfer the chicken thighs to a plate and place the skillet on the stovetop. Take care to always use a pot holder from this step forward; the handle will stay very hot.
- Add the mushrooms and cook on medium-high heat for about 4 minutes, or until golden brown and a bit softened, stirring only once midway. Add the garlic and sauté 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk, thyme, and ¼ teaspoon sea salt to the skillet. Bring to a gentle boil, then immediately reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about 2 to 4 minutes, until the flavors are blended and the sauce is reduced a bit.
- Stir in the bacon. Taste the sauce and add more salt and pepper as desired. Return the chicken thighs to the skillet and coat with the sauce. Combine the cooked cauliflower rice and spinach, and serve with the chicken and sauce.