Serves 6 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced pimento-stuffed green olives, plus 3 tablespoons of the olive brine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- Heat the oil in a large skillet with a lid over medium high heat.
- Add the ground beef, onion, green pepper, and garlic and cook until the meat is no longer pink, breaking up the meat into small pieces with a spoon.
- Stir in the next 6 ingredients (tomato through bay leaves) and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste, and serve with quinoa.