Cuban-Style Braised Fish
Serves 4 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 10 medium pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds halibut or sea bass fillets
- 1 tablespoon raw slivered almonds
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and red pepper flakes and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté another 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, broth, olives, and sea salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a simmer.
- Cut the fish into 4 pieces and place it on top of the tomato mixture.
- Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the fish is nearly opaque in the middle.
- Serve the fish with the sauce and a sprinkle of almonds.