Fast Metabolism Coconut Cream Pie
In Phase 3 of the Fast Metabolism Diet, coconut milk can be used as your healthy fat. Not only is it healthy and a great way to give yourself a quick energy boost, but—holy smokes!—it also contains lauric acid, a type of healthy fat that has been shown to nurture the thyroid.
Phase 3 | Serves 10
Prep time: 25 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes, plus chilling time
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 tablespoons birch xylitol
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup raw coconut oil, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup birch xylitol
1/3 cup arrowroot
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put the first five ingredients (almond flour through baking soda) in a food processor and pulse to blend.
- Add the remaining crust ingredients, and process until the dough forms a ball. Press the mixture into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake 10 minutes, until the crust is light golden.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the xylitol, arrowroot and salt. Slowly add the almond milk and coconut milk, stirring to avoid clumps. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture comes to a strong boil (the bubbles won't go away when you stir). Let it boil for 1 minute.
- Stirring the egg yolks constantly, add 1/2 the milk mixture to the yolks in a slow, thin stream. Stir the egg mixture back into the saucepan, and boil until the custard thickly coats a spoon (the custard will register 170 degrees F. on an instant-read thermomemter). Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the vanilla, coconut extract, and coconut. Let cool for 20 minutes, then pour into the baked crust.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread the coconut on a parchment-covered baking pan. Bake 1 minute, or until golden. Watch carefully so the coconut does not burn. Sprinkle the toasted coconut on top of the pie. Refrigerate the pie until set, at least 3 hours.