Makes about 1 1/2 cups | Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 15 minutes
Phase 1 and 3
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeño chiles
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice, preferably fire-roasted
- 1/4 cup (loosely packed) chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- In a small ungreased skillet over medium heat, roast the chiles and garlic, turning regularly, until they are soft and blotchy brown, about 10 minutes.
- When they’re cool enough to handle, pull the stems off the chiles and peel the garlic.
- Place the chiles and garlic in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice.
- Pulse a few times to make a coarse puree.
- Transfer the puree to a serving dish, and stir in the cilantro and lime juice.
- Season with sea salt and serve.