Grilled Romaine and Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp Salad
I can't wait for you to try the grilled romaine in this recipe. Grilling the romaine brings out a smoky flavor, adding to the already smoky taste of the bacon-wrapped shrimp. Top it with a tangy balsamic dressing, and maximize your taste buds and health benefits on Phase 3.
Phase 3 | Serves 2
Prep time: 25 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon safflower mayonnaise
Pinch of xylitol
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 slices (4 ounces) nitrate-free turkey bacon
6 ounces extra-large raw shrimp, U-15 size, shells removed
2 hearts of romaine lettuce, split in half lengthwise
3 tablespoons chopped raw walnuts
- Preheat a grill to high heat.
- In a blender or food processor, combine 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, mustard, mayo, and xylitol, and process until smooth. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Cut the bacon strips in half lengthwise to make eight long, skinny strips. Wrap each bacon strip around a shrimp in a single layer, securing with a toothpick if necessary. Thread the shrimp onto metal skewers or wooden skewers that have been soaked in water for about 10 minutes. (If you have any bacon strips left over, thread those onto the skewers, too.)
- Drizzle the shrimp with 1/2 tablespoon of the remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the additional 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil on the cut sides of the romaine lettuce, and season with more salt and pepper.
- Grill the shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or just until opaque. Grill the romaine cut side down for about 3 to 4 minutes on one side, or until grill marks appear.
- Place the romaine on a platter, cut side up. Top with the shrimp, and sprinkle with the walnuts. Drizzle the balsamic dressing over all, and season with salt and pepper to taste.