Lamb Chops with Braised Cabbage and Carrots
D-Burn & Phase 3 | Serves 4 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
For the veggies:
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small head green cabbage
- 1 large red or yellow onion, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut in 1/4-inch coins
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Tamari (optional)
For the lamb chops:
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the pan
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 (4-ounce) lamb loin chops, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Get the veggies going first:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Cut off the cabbage’s stem and cut it into 12 wedges (keep the core attached — it will get tender).
- Arrange the cabbage in a single layer in the baking dish (a little overlap is okay). Add the onions and carrots, drizzle with broth and the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake 1 hour, until tender. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more, or until browned.
Meanwhile, marinate the lamb chops:
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, and garlic in a large ziplock bag. Add the lamb chops, turning to coat. Seal and marinate at room temperature 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Heat a grill pan or heavy skillet over medium-high heat (you can also cook these on the grill).
- Remove the lamb from the marinade and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush the pan lightly with olive oil and cook the chops 3 minutes on each side, or to your desired doneness.
- Serve the lamb chops with the veggies and a sprinkle of tamari (if desired).