Loaded Sweet Potatoes with Black Beans
Phase 1 and 3, Cleanse Days 1-3 | Serves 6
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes to 1 hour
6 medium sweet potatoes
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons vegetable broth or water
1 14.5-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
Green onion or chives, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Scrub the potatoes, wrap each one in foil, and bake them for 1 hour. (Or, you can microwave the sweet potatoes on high for 8 minutes, flipping the potatoes halfway through the cooking time.)
Meanwhile, make the black beans:
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté the onion, garlic, oregano, fennel seed, cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, pepper, and salt in vegetable broth until the onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juice and the beans, turn the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the tomatoes and beans have broken down slightly about 15 minutes.
- Uncover the pot and turn off the heat (the bean mixture will thicken as it cools slightly).
- Cut a lengthwise slit on one side of each sweet potato.
- Scoop out flesh into a bowl and mash well.
- Refill each skin with the mashed sweet potato.
- Top with 2/3 cup of the bean mixture and a sprinkling of snipped chives or green onion.
NOTE: This bean mixture keeps and freezes well. The leftovers are especially great stuffed into a tortilla with lettuce and green onion for a P1 lunch wrap.