Easy Refried Beans
Phase 1, 3
Serves 4 | Prep time: 15 minutes I total time: 30 minutes
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable or chicken broth
1 medium onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups or one 15-ounce can of cooked pinto beans
1/2 tsp. sea salt
Seasoning ideas (optional):
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried cilantro
- 1/2 minced jalapeno pepper
- In a heavy skillet or large saucepan, saute the garlic and onion in 2 tablespoons of broth until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add the beans and the remaining broth. Add the salt, and any of the optional spices to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally until the beans are warmed through.
- Remove the beans from the heat and mash thoroughly with a potato masher or the back of a spoon, adding more broth if needed.