Phase 1 | Serves: 12 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 to 20 minutes
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free quinoa or brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup birch xylitol
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup rice milk
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. and place 12 cupcake papers in a muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, xylitol, arrowroot, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, baking soda, and sea salt.
- In another bowl, stir together the pumpkin, rice milk, egg whites, and vanilla, until blended. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just to combine.
- Stir in the chopped ginger.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffin pan to a wire rack.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing the muffins; finish cooling on the rack.
- Serve warm, or cool completely and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Tip: Because these do not contain fruit they can’t be swapped for a snack, but feel free to enjoy 1 muffin as a grain with a Phase 1 breakfast, lunch or dinner.