Quinoa Stuffing with Cranberries and Rosemary
Phase 1 and Phase 3 | Serves 4 (Phase 1) or 8 (phase 3) | Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups white, red or tri-color quinoa, uncooked
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (Phase 3 only)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounce package sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons raw coconut oil (Phase 3 only)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Rinse the quinoa under cold water until the water runs clear. Place the quinoa in a medium saucepan with 2 1/2 cups of the broth and the salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook 12 minutes.
While the quinoa cooks, heat a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil (or a tablespoon of broth, for Phase 1) and swirl to coat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase the heat to medium-high, add the mushrooms and celery, and cook for 7 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to brown, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup broth, cranberries, coconut oil (Phase 3 only), rosemary, black pepper, and quinoa. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for a few minutes or until some cranberries have popped. Add sea salt to taste. Let stand, covered, 5 to 10 minutes before serving.