Roasted Sweet Potato, Sausage, & Quinoa Skillet
Phase 3 | Serves 4 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 pound nitrate-free turkey breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups Tuscan kale, ribs removed and thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- Sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes, and pierce them a few times with a knife or fork. Place them on the oven rack with a cookie sheet on the rack below them to catch any drips. Roast for about 45 minutes or until soft and tender. Cool almost completely, and chop into small bites.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, heat a skillet over medium heat and add the coconut oil. Saute the sausage with the shallots, sage, and paprika just until the sausage is no longer pink, crumbling the sausage with a spoon. Stir in the kale, cover and cook until the kale starts to wilt about 3 minutes. Toss the sweet potatoes and quinoa together with the kale mixture, and season with salt and pepper. Cook together in the skillet for about a minute and serve warm.