Shredded Brisket with Chipotle Dressing
All Phases | Serves 16
Prep time: 25 minutes | Cooking time: 5 to 10 hours (slow cooker)
For the brisket
4 pounds beef brisket
1 large yellow onion, chopped
10 black peppercorns
4 dried bay leaves
3 medium cloves garlic, crushed
2 serrano chiles, coarsely chopped (or 1 jalapeño)
1 teaspoon sea salt
For the chipotle dressing
7-ounce can chipotles in adobo
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 medium cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For Phase 2:
Shredded lettuce, diced jicama, fresh cilantro, chopped fresh or pickled jalapeños, pickled red onions
For other phases:
You can add a suitable wrap, and other toppings like avocado or guacamole (Phase 3) or chopped tomatoes (Phase 1 or Phase 3)
Cook the brisket:
- Put the brisket ingredients and 2 cups of water into a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cook for 8 to 10 hours on low or 5 to 6 hours on high.
- Transfer the brisket to a large bowl and let it sit until it’s cool enough to handle.
- Reserve the cooking liquid. Scrape away and discard any fat from the brisket.
- Using your fingers or two forks, tease the meat into shreds.
- Moisten with 1/2 cup of the reserved broth. Save the remaining broth for another use.
Make the dressing:
- Drain the adobo sauce from the canned chipotles into a blender. Add chipotles to taste (one chipotle for a little heat, two or three for medium-hot, or four for fiery).
- Add the remaining dressing ingredients and puree.
- Mix the dressing into the shredded beef. It’s best to make this ahead and refrigerate for at least an hour (overnight is even better) to let the flavors meld—just reheat when ready.