Spicy Asian Chicken Soup
All Phases | Serves 4
Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
Ingredients48 ounces (6 cups) chicken broth
1/4 cup tamari
1/4 teaspoon Asian chili paste (or 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 8 slices
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3-inch-long strips
3 tablespoons arrowroot
1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms (or white button mushrooms)
1 cup baby spinach
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and julienned
1 teaspoon lime zest
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine the first five ingredients (broth through ginger) in a large pot and boil 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the chicken with arrowroot until completely coated.
- Add the chicken and shiitakes to broth and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the spinach, red pepper, zest, and cilantro.
- Let the soup stand 2 to 3 minutes before serving.