Spicy Asian Chicken Soup
All Phases | Serves 4 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 48 ounces (6 cups) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/4 teaspoon Asian chili paste (or 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 8 slices
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3-inch-long strips
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms (or white button mushrooms)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and julienned
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine the first five ingredients (broth through ginger) in a large pot and boil 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the chicken with arrowroot until completely coated.
- Add the chicken and shiitakes to broth and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the spinach, red pepper, zest, and cilantro.
- Let the soup stand 2 to 3 minutes before serving.