Spicy Turkey, Kale, and Mushroom Soup
Phase 2 | Serves 4 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes to overnight
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound kale, thick stems removed, roughly chopped
- Crumble the ground turkey into a medium bowl.
- Add the next nine ingredients (paprika through cloves) and mix well.
- Mix in the vinegar and 1 tablespoon of water, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- Place a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of water, onions, and garlic. Sauté until the onions begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and add the turkey mixture and mushrooms.
- Cook, stirring often, until the turkey is browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the kale. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and continue to cook until the kale is tender (about 10 minutes), and serve.