Steak with Balsamic Caramelized Onions
Serves 2 | Prep time: 25 to 40 minutes | Total time: 35 to 50 minutes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound red onions, sliced vertically into thin wedges
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Coarse sea salt
- Cracked fresh black pepper
- 2 1-inch-thick steaks (4 ounces each)
- Steamed or sautéed asparagus
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the oil and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are as browned and caramelized as you like them (you can stop at about 18 minutes, when they’re nicely browned, or lower the heat and keep going for another 20 minutes or more, until the onions are very brown and sweet).
- Add the vinegar and 2 tablespoons of water and stir for another minute or two, until the liquid is syrupy.
- Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Season the steaks generously with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Broil to the doneness you like, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Serve the steaks with the caramelized onions, with asparagus on the side.