Stuffed Acorn Squash
Phase 1 | Serves 6
Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 1 hour
Ingredients3 small acorn squash
1/2 medium onion, sliced
1 tablespoon plus 3 cups organic vegetable or chicken broth, divided
1/2 cup diced carrot
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of stevia
1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Halve the squash through the stem end, scoop out the seeds, and place cut-side up on a rimmed baking sheet (if they won’t stand up straight, cut a little slice off the bottom).
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the inside of the squash is tender.
Meanwhile, make the filling:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onion in 1 tablespoon of the broth for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the carrot, tomato paste, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, and stevia.
- Add the lentils and remaining broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the lentils are tender and the liquid is mostly absorbed, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Season the lentils with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and the cayenne.
- Season the squash with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Divide the lentil filling among the squash and serve.