Stuffed Zucchini with Red Pepper and Basil
Serves 2 | Phase 1 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes
- 2 medium zucchini (about 8 inches long each)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic seasoning (or another seasoning you like)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Trim the stem and flower ends from the zucchini.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, and then scoop out the seeds and part of the flesh, leaving 1/2-inch of flesh attached to the skin (you can reserve the scooped-out zucchini to throw into a soup, or sauté it with some scrambled eggs later). Microwave the zucchini shells on high for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the onions and peppers with 2 tablespoons of chicken broth until they just begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the onions and peppers to a bowl.
- Add the ground beef to the hot pan, reduce the heat to medium, and cook until the meat starts to brown.
- Add the garlic, Simply Organic seasoning, salt, and ground fennel seed and continue to cook until the meat is browned, breaking it into small pieces.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup chicken broth and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the cooked peppers and onions, cooked brown rice, and basil.
- Place the zucchini in a baking pan just big enough to hold them (so they’ll stay upright — or cut a thin slice off the bottom to keep them standing up).
- Divide the filling among the zucchini, packing it tightly and mounding it up.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes until the zucchini is tender-crisp and the filling is slightly browned.