Sweet and Sour Chicken
Maintenance | Serves 4
Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
1/2 cup coconut aminos
1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
1/3 cup no-sugar-added ketchup
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 1/2- to 2-inch pieces
1 medium red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 red bell peppers, cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces
3/4 cup fresh pineapple chunks
2/3 cup pureed fresh pineapple
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder, mixed with 1/3 cup cold water
4 cups cooked cauliflower rice, for serving
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 scallions, thinly sliced
4 teaspoons sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut aminos, vinegar, ketchup, garlic, five-spice powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, without stirring for 2 minutes. Flip the chicken pieces over and cook for 2 minutes more Stir in the onion, bell peppers, and pineapple chunks Cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the sauce and the pineapple puree. Add 1/4 cup warm water and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables with a slotted spoon and put them on a plate, leaving just the liquid in the skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken and veggies to the skillet and stir to coat with the sauce.
- To serve, divide the cauliflower rice among four plates. Top with the chicken. Garnish each serving with cilantro, scallions, and sesame seeds.
Note: Buy cauliflower rice fresh or frozen from teh supermarket, or coarsely chop fresh cauliflower florets in a food processor until they're broken down into pieces the size of rice.