Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Sausage
Take Phase 3 to the next level by making your own sweet potato gnocchi. Sweet potatoes and sausage have always been one of my favorite combinations, and they come together beautifully in this mouthwatering, nutrient-packed dish!
Phase 3 | Serves 6
Prep time: 30 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Sweet Potato Gnocchi:
1 pound sweet potatoes
1 cup almond flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour, plus extra for dusting
1T coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
24 ounces nitrate-free chicken or Italian turkey sausage, cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 small yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
14 ounces cherry tomatoes
1 recipe Sweet Potato Gnocchi
To serve: 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
For Sweet Potato Gnocchi:
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ degrees.
- Wash the sweet potatoes, and prick the skin with a fork several times. Wrap in foil and bake in the oven for about 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, combine the next 6 ingredients (almond flour through allspice). Set aside. Lightly dust a clean work surface with some extra tapioca flour.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, let cool slightly and while warm, peel the skin off and mash using a potato masher. Let cool to room temperature, then add the flour mix and the egg to the potato; knead the dough into a smooth ball.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts, then split each ball into 8-10 smaller portions. Roll out each portion into a ¾-inch thick rope. Slice each rope into 1-inch segments and roll the tines of a fork across each piece to make ridges. Repeat with the remaining dough. Place the gnocchi on a plate, cover and set in the fridge to chill about 15-20 minutes.
For Sheet-Pan Supper:
- Preheat the oven to 425℉ degrees
- Toss together the first 8 ingredients (sausage through crushed red pepper flakes), 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper on a sheet pan. Pour the cherry tomatoes over the top and gently shake the pan a few times to evenly distribute. Bake until the sausage is browned and the vegetables are soft, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the gnocchi with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Turn the oven to broil. Sprinkle the gnocchi over the sausage and vegetables and broil until dark golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Divide among 6 plates and sprinkle with the parsley.