Sweet Potato Hash with Sausage and Eggs
Serves 8 | Prep time: 45 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- 2 pounds onions (about 4 medium), peeled, quartered lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
- 1 pound nitrate-free chicken Italian sausage, diced
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large), unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the oil, the onions, and a generous pinch of sea salt.
- Cook, stirring often, turning down the heat as needed to prevent burning, until the onions are deeply browned, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss together the onion mixture, remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, sausage, sweet potatoes, garlic, rosemary, and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Spread this mixture onto a large foil-lined baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft and browned. (DO AHEAD: You can make the hash up to this point up to 5 days in advance, and refrigerate.)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Spread the hash in a cast-iron skillet or 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Make small wells in the sweet potatoes and crack in large eggs.
- Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until the mixture is heated through and the eggs whites are set, and serve.