Turkey or Buffalo Chili
PHASE 1 | Serves 6 (a single portion is 2 cups)
Prep time: 25 minutes | Cook time: 5 to 8 hours, depending on slow-cooker setting
1 to 1½ pounds lean ground turkey or buffalo meat
½ cup diced red onion, or more if desired
2 Tbls. fresh parsley or cilantro
1 heaping Tbls. chili powder
1 Tbls. minced garlic
½ tsp. crushed red chili flakes
15-ounce can white beans
15-ounce can kidney beans (no sugar added)
15-ounce can black beans
15-ounce can pinto beans
15-ounce can lentils or adzuki beans
4 cups chopped zucchini
28-oz can crushed tomatoes
1 heaping tsp. sea salt
- Brown the turkey or buffalo meat in a skillet and drain.
- Turn a slow cooker to high setting. Add the meat, onion, parsley, chili powder, garlic, and red pepper flakes to the pot. Stir, cover and set aside.
- Open and partially drain all 5 cans of beans; I leave a little liquid in to make my chili a little juicier. Add the beans, zucchini, and tomatoes to the cooker. Stir well. Keep the cooker set on high for 4 to 5 hours or adjust heat to low and simmer for 6 to 8 hours.
- Stir and taste occasionally, adjusting seasonings as needed. Add the salt just before serving to best preserve its nutrients.
- Note for those following the Fast Metabolism Diet: This meal is appropriate for Phase One. Because this chili contains such a large amount of starchy legumes, it counts as a Grain as well as Protein and Veggie servings. No need to add an additional grain to the meal, even if the meal map specifies a grain.
Love this recipe? There are hundreds more available to Members of HayliePomroy.com! If you’re not a Member, learn more and join now!