Pumpkin-Turkey Chili with White Beans and Kale
Serves 6 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 cups chicken broth or turkey stock, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper (red or green), diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 1/2 cups cubed or shredded cooked turkey breast
- 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 cups kale, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- 1 jalapeño, minced, for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the onion in 2 tablespoons of broth for 2 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and sauté until the onion is tender, about another 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the broth and the remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, lime wedges, and optional minced jalapeño.