Serves 6 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 1 hour
- 6 ounces nitrate-free turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound dried black-eyed peas, about 2 cups
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 heaping teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 3/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- Sliced green onions
- Cooked collard greens (or kale, beet, or turnip greens)
- Place the bacon in a medium pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until the bacon is browned. Add the celery, onion, and green pepper and sauté until the vegetables begin to brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the black-eyed peas, bay leaf, thyme, and Cajun seasoning and cover with 4 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a simmer, cover, and cook until the peas are tender, not mushy, about 40 minutes.
- When the peas are tender, remove and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the salt and pepper. Serve with brown rice, sliced green onions, and cooked greens.
This recipe would also work for Phase 3 if served with wild rice or quinoa instead of brown rice.