Artichokes Braised in Lemon and Olive Oil
Serves 8 | Prep time: 40 minutes | Total time: 1 hour
- 1 lemon, halved
- 8 medium artichokes
- 3 small shallots, sliced into thin rings
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 strips lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Add the lemon halves to a large bowl of cold water, squeezing to release juice.
- Trim the artichokes: Cut off the top inch of 1 artichoke and bend back the outer leaves until they snap off close to base (keep the stem attached). Discard several more layers in same manner until you reach pale yellow leaves.
- Cut the remaining leaves flush with top of artichoke bottom using a sharp knife. Trim the dark green fibrous parts from the base and sides of the artichoke.
- Peel the sides of the stem down to the pale inner core. Put the artichoke in the lemon water to prevent browning while preparing the remaining artichokes.
- Cook the shallots, carrot, garlic, and seeds in 1/4 cup of the oil in a 4-to 5-quart heavy pot (the pot should be wide enough to hold the artichokes in 1 layer with stems pointing upward) over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes.
- Add the water, zest, and 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice and bring to a simmer.
- Stand the artichokes in the pot and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cover the artichokes with wax paper, then a lid, and simmer over medium-low heat until the bases are just tender when pierced with a knife, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the artichokes to a dish and reserve the cooking liquid.
- When the artichokes are cool enough to handle, halve them lengthwise. Scoop out and discard the inner choke (fuzzy center and any sharp leaves).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the remaining oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then brown the cut sides of the artichokes in 2 batches, about 2 minutes per batch, transferring to a serving dish.
- Add the reserved cooking liquid to skillet along with the remaining tablespoon of lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
- Boil vigorously 3 minutes, then stir in the parsley and pour over the artichokes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.