Black Bean Burgers
Serves 8 | Prep time: 25 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can refried black beans (or another can of regular black beans, drained, rinsed, and mashed)
- 1 cup sprouted-grain bread crumbs (from 2 slices)
- 1/2 cup diced red and/or yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Mix together all of the ingredients except the olive oil (the mixture should be firm).
- Use a 1/2-cup measure to shape the mixture into patties, flattening them slightly. (Note: You can make the patties ahead up to this point and freeze them.)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Brown half of the patties (about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes per side), then add the remaining olive oil and cook the rest of the patties, and serve.