Chicken Pot Pie
Serves 8 | Prep Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons raw coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups green beans, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 cup arrowroot
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or almond milk
To roast the chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the chicken on an foil-lined baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, season generously with salt and pepper, and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cool enough to handle, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- To make the crust
- Mix all of the crust ingredients together thoroughly. Form into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 30 minutes.
To make the pie:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place a wide pot over medium-high heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown.
- Add the next 6 ingredients (carrots through sage). Stir the arrowroot into the coconut or almond milk to dissolve, and then stir this mixture into the pot. Cook and stir until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Divide the filling among 8 1-cup ramekins (or other ovenproof bowls).
- Roll out the crust between two sheets of parchment paper, cut out 8 circles (it’s fine if they don’t completely cover the ramekins), and place one on top of each ramekin. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm.