Chicken Sausage with White Beans and Kale
- 1 bunch kale
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- 12 oz. fully cooked, nitrite-free chicken sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 15-ounce can cannellini beans, lightly drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 5 fresh sage leaves, chopped (or 1/4 tsp. dried sage)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a big pot of salted water to a boil. Tear the thick center stems out of the kale and roughly chop the leaves. Drop the kale into the boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain it in a colander, rinse with cold water and set it aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and chicken sausages. Brown the sausages on all sides. Remove them to a plate and set them aside.Sauté the onions in the skillet until they start to soften (about 2 minutes). Add the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes, and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add the kale, cannellini beans, chicken broth and lemon juice. Increase the heat to medium-high and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the sausages and sage. Simmer until the sausages are warmed through, about 2 minutes. Add sea salt and pepper to taste.