There’s a reason we call certain foods “comfort foods.” They make us feel satisfied and satiated. Phase 1’s fruit, pasta, rice, oatmeal, and toast are high-carb, low-fat foods that we naturally reach for to soothe stress. These same foods have a similar effect on your adrenal glands. So reach for the healthy comfort foods, like these incredible pancakes, and start your week off by soothing stress!
Phase 1 | Serves 4 (Makes 8 Pancakes)
Prep time: 5 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
1 cup Fast Metabolism All Purpose Baking Mix
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 large egg whites
1/2 cup peeled, finely diced apple
- In a bowl, stir together the baking mix and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients, then fold in the diced apple.
- In a hot non-stick skillet, drop about 1/3 cup of the batter, and smooth out to make eight 3-inch pancakes. Cook until small bubbles appear and the underside of the pancake is a light golden brown.
- Flip and cook for a minute more. Serve with Quick Apple Compote.
Quick Apple Compote
3 1/2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
3 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon arrowroot powder
15 drops liquid stevia, or to taste
- Place all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap (leave a small vent). Microwave on high 2 minutes or until the apples are tender.
Portion: 2 pancakes plus 1 serving of apple compote equals a Phase 1 grain and a Phase 1 fruit portion.