Crock Pot Spiced Red Cabbage with Apples or Pears
Phase 1 | Serves 6-8 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 3 to 8 hours
- 2 pounds red cabbage
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 large apples or 4 large pears, NOT peeled, diced
- 4 large onions, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 20 to 30 drops liquid stevia
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Discard the outer leaves of the red cabbage, and cut it into quarters. Remove the core, and then slice the cabbage 1/4-inch thick.
- Make two layers of the ingredients in the slow cooker. Use half of each ingredient for the first layer: red cabbage, then half of the salt and pepper, apples or pears, onions and garlic, spices and stevia; then repeat the layers.
- Pour the apple cider vinegar over everything.
- Cook for 3 to 4 hours on high (or 6 to 8 hours on low) until everything is tender.
NOTE: You can also bake at 350 degrees for 2 to 2 1/2 hours in a Dutch oven or Le Creuset-type covered casserole dish, or cook covered on the stovetop at a low simmer for 2 to 3 hours. This recipe serves 6-8 depending on how large of apples or pears are used.