Curried Coconut Carrot Soup
PHASE 3 | Serves 6 to 8 (makes about 10 cups)
Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
6 cups scrubbed, unpeeled carrots, roughly chopped (about 1 1/3 pounds)
3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly chopped ginger root
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Black pepper to taste (optional)
Optional garnishes: Coconut milk, crushed red pepper flakes, fresh cilantro
- Heat the coconut oil in a large soup pot over medium heat, and add the onions.
- Cook the onions for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots, and cook and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the next 5 ingredients (broth through red pepper flakes).
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook until the carrots are softened, about 10 or 15 minutes.
- When carrots are soft, carefully blend the soup in batches in a blender (use a towel to hold the lid down firmly) or use an immersion hand blender and puree until smooth.
- Season with salt and optional pepper.
- Garnish with a swirl of coconut milk, extra crushed red pepper flakes, and sprigs of fresh cilantro, if you like.