Enjoy this Italian Wonder recipe from The Burn on Day 5 of the D-Burn. I bet you’ll want to make it again and again once you’ve finished the plan.
D-Burn | Serves 2
Prep time: 10-15 minutes | Total time: 33 minutes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup diced red onion
2 cups diced zucchini
2 cups diced yellow squash
2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
OPTIONAL: 1 cup cooked quinoa or wild rice
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the oil and onion in the skillet and cook, stirring often, for about 4 minutes, until the onion begins to soften and brown.
- Add the zucchini, squash, mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Cook for another 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, rosemary, and oregano and sauté for 4 minutes more. Stir in the broth and lemon juice, and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Simmer for 1 minute, until the sauce thickens. Stir in the pine nuts and parsley. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over quinoa or wild rice, if you like, or just enjoy it as is.