Fast Metabolism Pad Thai
Filled with ingredients to speed up your metabolism, this Pad Thai is delicious and nutritious. Layered with incredible veggies like red bell peppers, and carrots and herbs like cilantro – this micronutrient power in this meal is strong. Red bell peppers are bursting with vitamin C, and they get their scarlet color from carotenes—both antioxidants that may prevent inflammation-related disease. Carrots help stimulate digestive enzymes to support your body’s ability to break down cholesterol. Cilantro is linked to lowering your LDL (the low down dirty lipoproteins – the bad ones) and raise your HDL (your handy dandy lipoproteins – the good ones). Your heart will love this Fast Metabolism Pad Thai!
Phase 3 | Serves 6
Prep time: 30 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
Fast Metabolism Pad Thai
For the Pad Thai:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into French fry-sized sticks
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 packages shirataki noodles
2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1/2 cup sliced red cabbage
1/4 cup sliced green onion
1/4 cup chopped almonds or cashews
1/4 chopped fresh cilantro
For the sauce:
1/2 cup almond butter
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tablespoons xylitol
2 tablespoons coconut aminos or tamari
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon minced ginger
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/3 cup cashew milk (or other Phase 3 milk)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the chicken and butternut squash on the pan, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the grapeseed oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: In a blender or food processor, pulse together all of the sauce ingredients except for the cashew milk. While the motor is running, pour in the cashew milk. Continue to pulse until sauce is creamy and well combined.
- Now, make the pad Thai: Prepare the shirataki noodles according to package instructions. Place the noodles in a large serving bowl, and set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining tablespoon of grapeseed oil, carrots, and bell pepper, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk the eggs, and add them to the pan. Continue to cook and stir another 2 to 3 minutes, until eggs scramble. Transfer the contents of the skillet to the serving bowl with the noodles.
- Remove the chicken and butternut squash from the oven. Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces, and add the chicken and squash to the serving bowl. Add the cabbage, green onions, cashews or almonds, and cilantro. Drizzle the sauce on top. Mix to combine, and serve.