Fava, Spinach and Quinoa Cakes
You will definitely want to make up a big batch of these flavorful Fava, Spinach, and Quinoa Cakes. They come together fast and reheat beautifully. Plus, the ingredients are protein-packed to help you stay energized, and best of all, satisfied!
Phase 1 | Serves 6
Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- 20 ounces frozen, chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen fava beans, thawed
- 4 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 egg whites
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Squeeze out as much water as possible from the spinach and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add the fava beans and cook for 3 minutes. Drain them and place them in the bowl of a food processor, pulsing until coarse puree forms. Add to the mixing bowl with the spinach.
- Stir in the next 8 ingredients (quinoa through pepper). Stir in the egg whites until well combined.
- Form into 12 patties and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Flip and bake for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle with a little more sea salt and fresh black pepper, and serve with lemon wedges.