Flourless Cacao Muffins
With just a few simple ingredients, you can enjoy this moist, rich cacao flavored muffin for your Phase 3 snack. This recipe comes courtesy of long-time Fast Metabolism fan Laura Greer. See below for links to more of her wonderful FMD-compliant recipes!
Phase 3 | Serves 4
Prep time: 10 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
1 cup zucchini, peeled and grated
½ cup almond butter
1 whole egg and 1 egg white
1 ½ tbsp cacao powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
5 tbsp xylitol
- Preheat the oven to 350º F
- Using clean hands or a paper towel, squeeze the grated zucchini over a bowl to remove excess of water.
- In a medium bowl, add the zucchini, the egg and egg whites, almond butter, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and the xylitol. Mix using an electric mixer or just a fork until combined.
- Pour batter into a silicone muffin pan, filling each cavity about ¾ full. If you use a silicone muffin pan, the muffins do not stick, but if you do not have one, you can use a regular muffin pan which would need a little bit of coconut oil to prevent the muffins from sticking.
- The size of the muffin pan will in part determine your portion. For large muffins, the P3 portion will be about 1/2 muffin, but if you use a smaller pan, your portion will be a whole muffin or even two muffins for a mini muffin pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let them cool, and they are ready! Serve with your favorite Phase 3 vegetable.
About the Author:
Laura was born and raised in Cali, Colombia. After finishing her law degree, she got married and moved to the United States. She first discovered her talent for cooking while making meals for her family and she likes to share what she has learned with the world. Laura dedicates her free time to her passions, including the kitchen, where she combines her creativity and love of healthy food. She enjoys the challenge of taking her favorite meals and transforming them with healthy ingredients so everyone can enjoy them within the FMD lifestyle. For Laura, cooking is an act of love.
To see the Spanish version of this recipe and more of Laura's delicious FMD-inspired recipes: